As a locally-owned-and-operated HVAC company in Colorado Springs, Polar Bear Mechanical understands the frustration inefficient residential heating and cooling systems cause. As temperatures cool down and winter approaches, it’s especially important to make sure your home is able to maintain the proper temperature to keep you comfortable from the colder weather outside.
At Polar Bear Mechanical, we are committed to providing the best residential and commercial HVAC services in southern Colorado. Over the past 40 years, we’ve become the go-to HVAC company for any heating and cooling needs. Whether you’re in need of commercial HVAC maintenance or you’re concerned your water heater is failing, our team of HVAC professionals are ready to help you!
Common Causes of Uneven Heating and Cooling
- Home Structure
- Because modern houses usually have a main level, basement and upper level, it can be challenging to adequately heat a two-story house. You may find your upstairs isn’t cooling properly, especially because heat rises. This results in an uncomfortable temperature difference between the multiple levels.
- Blocked or Closed Vents
- If it’s hot upstairs and cold downstairs, it’s possible your air vents are blocked or closed. Make sure you don’t have any items or large furniture blocking your vent’s airflow. If you notice your home seems dusty when the air conditioning or heating is running, make sure to check your air vents to ensure there’s not a buildup of debris present.
- Lack of Furnace Maintenance
- If your home constantly feels cold and your heater doesn’t feel like it’s working, it’s possible your furnace is operating inefficiently and is in need of proper maintenance. Your furnace should undergo routine maintenance and receive an annual by an HVAC technician in order to remain in proper working condition.
- Leaking Air Ducts
- If your air ducts are leaking, it becomes extremely difficult for your HVAC system to properly heat or cool your home. A telltale sign of leaking air ducts is hot and cold spots scattered throughout your home. If you notice these irregular temperature pockets, check your air ducts for loose seams or openings.
Solutions to Fix Uneven Heating and Cooling
- Turning Vanes
- If the airflow in your house is inconsistent, turning vanes may be a perfect solution for you. Air ducts that lack turning vanes must absorb the impact of airflow as it changes directions. With the installation of turning vanes, airflow is smoothly and gradually assisted as it changes direction in the air duct, which results in less impact and better airflow. Watch the video below for a better understanding of what turning vanes look like and how they can increase your home’s airflow efficiency.
- Airflow Testing
- Airflow testing measures the amount of air that flows through a component, giving you a better understanding of the areas of your home that lack proper airflow. After an airflow analysis is performed, HVAC technicians will be able to properly fix inadequate airflow to make the rooms in your house feel more comfortable.
- High Flow Registers
- High flow registers allow more air to pass through than restrictive registers. High flow registers have larger and fewer grilles, allowing more air to pass through while minimizing the work your HVAC system must go through to reach the desired indoor temperatures.
- Air Balancing
- Air balancing allows HVAC technicians to modify your heating and cooling system by measuring airflow imbalances and seeing if you have high static pressure. Targeting airflow imbalances helps HVAC professionals pinpoint the causes of the imbalances, making it easier for them to tweak your system and stabilize your indoor temperatures.
Fix Uneven Heating and Cooling with Polar Bear Mechanical
If you are experiencing uneven heating and cooling in your home, Polar Bear Mechanical is here to help! As colder seasons approach, it’s important to make sure the airflow in your home is consistent and comfortable. The last thing you want to worry about during a cold, winter night is being unable to heat your home, making you feel like you live in the Arctic. Our team of licensed HVAC technicians will ensure your heating and cooling system is running smoothly and efficiently. Make sure to call us today and we’ll have your HVAC system operating accurately in no time!